Thursday, June 24, 2010

St. Nicholas

I'm always on the look out for anything Russian or pertaining to Russian culture. I would love to learn all that I can so I can keep my future child's heritage alive.

I learned something new a while back. My Godson/little cousin was making his first holy communion. So, I went to a religious store to get some of those patron Saint card things for in his card. I was in the M's and decided to mosey down to St. Nicholas. I've always liked the name Nicholas (but spelled...Nikolas) for a son and decided to see what it said. I was pleasantly surprised to find out..."The Russian Church honors St. Nicholas more than any other Saint. He is the patron of Russia." How cool!

I do plan to either keep his given Russian name or make it a middle name, along with adding my Grandfather's name as a middle or second middle name. My Grandpa was extremely important to me and to the rest of my family. We were pals and I think he would be honored I would choose to pass his name down. I believe that it's important his Russian heritage be honored and kept, but also, just as important for him to be given a cherished family name. My future son may potentially have one long (but important) name!!! =)

Now, I just need to hurry and age a little bit(I can stop after I hit the magic #25) so I can get the ball rolling!!! Or, should I say the humongous paper chase? Ever think you'd hear a woman want to hurry up and get older?!?!

1 comment:

  1. To answer the last question, NO! :) Nikolai (Nicholas) is a common name and, yes, the saint is quite popular there. I definitely remember getting a stocking full of goodies on his feast day every year growing up!

    Keep the faith but the paper chase is not as exciting as it seems. I usually pride myself on being organized and thorough but this has been a challenge... LOL

    ReplyDelete